Leadership | Blog #3

Leadership has always been a fascinating trait to me, as it is a skill that I have been developing since elementary school. I am always intrigued by different people’s leadership styles and, more importantly, how others respond to those leaders. Over the past few years, I have had several opportunities to observe successful leaders at work, however, this internship experience has taught me the importance of educating others as a key component of being a productive leader.

The way that my team at NBCUniversal is structured allows for several different departments to both work with and learn from each other, as the Program Planning, Production, and Development teams all report to the same Executive Vice President. That being said, the leader of these teams makes a strong effort to not only keep each team member educated on the brand, but to  also stay informed on what everyone else is working on, both inside and outside of the department. With numerous meetings scheduled each week for the purpose of sharing research, discussing current projects, and screening upcoming content, each team member has the opportunity to learn more about what is going on in the company and how each assignment fits into the big picture. Similarly, the Executive Vice President leads several meetings in which we watch competitive content, so that we stay aware of what is going on in the TV industry outside of our two brands–Bravo and Oxygen. This part of my internship has perhaps been the most beneficial, as I have learned so much about what is going on in my industry and how different trends emerge and fade out.

While there are so many traits that can make or break a strong leader, the biggest takeaway that I will carry from my internship with NBCUniversal is the importance of keeping my team as educated as possible.

Jaime R

Programming Strategy Intern @ CMT/Viacom Media Networks

One thought on “Leadership | Blog #3

Wow, what a valuable insight, Jaime! I feel like not many people think about that as an important trait in leadership, but your story really shows how important it is for leaders to focus on communication and education, both across teams and focusing on the industry in general. Since you are involved in multiple leadership activities on U-M’s campus, it would be interesting to hear how you can see applying this new takeaway to your work once you return to campus.

Maggie