NDA: #3

16 days until.

It’s pretty hard to blog when you’re under an NDA. I can’t really give specifics here. I can’t say for instance, what our campaign strategy is, our finances, some of the stuff said in the office, etc. Weird space to be in when you’ve got to blog about stuff every week.

I got a new job. I am now working full time, which for a campaign means 7 days a week, at least 10 hours a day. I’ve been moved from the political team, handling endorsements, to the out-of-state volunteer coordinator. Which means building the back end and the front end of a program at the same time, a program that is urgent and also could break us if it fails. It has its stresses. Some days it feels like a lot of weight. It feels like I’m bound to fail, and I am blind as to how somebody else would do it differently/better.

We don’t have enough volunteers, but the people I need to help me do my job have a thousand other things to do and this is last on their list, so that’s been a struggle. We need housing, but no large venue will lend us floorspace, so I have to call hundreds of supporters and ask for 1-2 volunteers at a time. And we need food, but we have no budget.

At least it is teaching me what grassroots really means. I’ve seen people make massive sacrifices because they believe in us as a group, and in Michigan. It’s inspiring.

One thought on “NDA: #3

Hannah, I totally understand how difficult it must be to write reflective blog posts when there’s so much you can’t talk about! I appreciate the effort you’re putting in. Congratulations on your new job! It sounds like you have a lot of responsibility, which is exciting, but that it means you’re putting in some intense hours. I know it’s really hard to do at times like these, but please make sure to be thinking about self care. When possible, it’s ok to just go home and relax for an evening.

As you’ve been learning about what it means to really be grassroots, how are you feeling about the idea of working in grassroots organizing in the future. Is this something you’re really excited by, or are you realizing this isn’t a good fit for you?

Maggie