relative weight of importance and duration

In order to maintain positive thinking during the work week, my boss started having meetings each Wednesday where one of us brings in something that will motivate and encourage the team.

This is my second turn being the presenter. In the midst of my work load, I forgot to look anything up until today, the day of the meeting (oops). I just spent the last half hour looking through activities and videos trying to figure out what I want to talk about this week, when I came across a video from a motivational speaker named Brendon. In his video, Brendon talks about the importance of reprogramming your brain to keep negative thoughts out and positive thoughts in.

One of his key points was called RWID, which stands for “relative weight of importance and duration”. He goes on to say that the people who keep having negative thoughts in their life are the ones who are allowing those negative thoughts to enter their mind and more so, they are giving those negative thoughts more attention, placing them in a position of higher importance. However, the positive side of this idea is that if I deter my mind from thinking negatively (which I should and can be doing), I can push my mind and exercise it to think positively. I can place positivity at a point of higher importance and I can give it more of my focus and I can allow that positive thinking to seep into all areas of my life, motivating me and encouraging me to be better.

I really enjoy this idea because as a 20 year old about to graduate and enter the work force, I consistently doubt myself and what I can do. When looking at full-time openings, my head is constantly telling me ‘oh, you don’t have the qualifications for that job’ or ‘your GPA isn’t that great, why would that company hire you’ etc. Instead, I should think about how to turn my weaknesses into strengths and how to elaborate the strengths that I do have. My goal for my last week and a half here is to let this positive notion seep into all aspects of my job and furthermore, my job search. I won’t let negativity and self-doubt control me.

One thought on “relative weight of importance and duration

Hi Marlisa,

This is a great post! Thanks for sharing. We’ve all been there at some point in our lives where we had to rush an assignment or task! Good job for being a quick thinker and adaptable! Moreover, I liked that video you stumbled upon because it’s valuable to many people. I would encourage you to not focus on landing the perfect job right out of undergrad. Time and chance come together for everyone. As far as your GPA, it’s just a reflection of our strengths, weaknesses, passions, life circumstances, etc. It is not a holistic demonstration of who you are. Know that you are on the right track and that the Hub is here to help you along the way!

Go Blue!

DeMario