What Does It All Mean Once You Have To Leave And Go Home? | #6

So I’ve left, I’m gone. And I feel happy and sad, melancholy. It was an experience that taught me a lot about where I come from and what I want to do with my life. It taught me more than anything, though, about where I stand right now as a college student. Living in an apartment for the first time, having to do a full-time job for the first time, having to feed myself, etc. The list goes on, and it’s all good and well for personal growth and what have you. But the more interesting feature is that I had planned to leave, and that I did with such little fanfare. It ends with a whimper, not a bang. I had my last day working at our farmers’ market and I said my goodbyes. They gave me balloons and a card, and left me nice messages that revealed that we hadn’t had the time to get so close or work much together.

So I said goodbye and drove myself home to a sad goodbye party amongst my classmates and friends. That as well was something rather odd. And I left it early and said goodbyes without any tears or sadness felt by anyone. And then we had our final showcase, we said our goodbyes, and moved out this past weekend. We were all too weary to be bothered to cry. But I was sad to say goodbye to my roommate, though I’ll see her in only three weeks back in Ann Arbor. What a time it’s been. And what little I have the energy to say at its close.

Just once we’ve settled in, it’s time to go.

2 thoughts on “What Does It All Mean Once You Have To Leave And Go Home? | #6

Hi Adam, I know it’s been a few weeks since your internship ended and you wrote this post. You’ve certainly had a summer of reflection, that’s for sure. Sounds like your first real experience “adulting” (groceries, apartment, job) was eye opening. I’ve been doing it a while now, and it can still be a lot at times. This picture makes me laugh when I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed, as I know it’s not just me. https://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/aKPZM6O_700b.jpg

Thinking about your departure from Grandmont Rosedale Development Corporation, I am particularly struck by your line: “they gave me balloons and a card, and left me nice messages that revealed that we hadn’t had the time to get so close or work much together.” Your creative writing talent certainly shines through in that line. 🙂 Anyways, I know with your supervisors’ departure this is certainly true, and I imagine speaks much to what you need in a workplace. That sense of personal connection and relationships is really important to me too. How do you imagine you will be able to seek that out during a job interview, to know if that’s the kind of workplace you will be joining?

Again, thank you for allowing me a window into your world this summer, Adam. I hope we get an opportunity to meet on campus!

Thank you for all your kind words and comments, Hannah. It’s been great to hear another outside perspective as the summer has drawn on now to its close. I’ll certainly be putting all of my experiences into future job searches and endeavors. Thanks again!