Favorite Experience #5

As I begin to reflect on a summer full of rich experiences it is almost hard to identify one day or one task that stands out in the crowd, and that made me realize how much I actually enjoy the variability of experiences that one is exposed to in a weekly and daily basis in this industry. While a given project could take as little as 3 months or as long as a year it is relatively true that even if one works on a part of that project for a couple of days in a row that almost every day and every facet of the work will change in some regard. At any moment a potential client can call with a question that has not been asked prior, or a task may arise such as building an operating model for a business that operates in a unique fashion. Even planned meetings or deadlines can change at a moments notice under certain circumstances.

I thoroughly enjoy all of this variability because I feel like it keeps me on my toes, pushes me to think critically, and at times allows me to step up and play at a higher level. For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed tackling complicated problems that don’t have immediate or clear answers. The ambiguity and newness of a challenge excites me as I know I can push myself to find out whether or not I can accomplish a task. There are certainly fields of work that are repetitive, and I admire those that become experts at what they do through repetition and practice, yet I personally have more fun becoming good at many things with the hopes of becoming an expert problem solver in my career.

With any good thing too much can sometimes be bad. While most of the variability I have experienced has been manageable there are times when things change like a deadline that can throw a wrench in other plans. I think this is just part of the business, but nonetheless I have worked to better prepare myself for those occasions by staying ahead on my work and by being proactive. After working with someone for a while it becomes easier to anticipate what they will want next and sometimes that can be done before they even have to ask for it. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but this summer has helped me grow a lot in this respect and I look forward to the academic year as an opportunity to utilize some of my refined problem solving skills.

One thought on “Favorite Experience #5

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for sharing your posts! I really enjoyed reading them and hearing about your perspective of what makes a great leader. You have a great point when you write a higher level title does not translate to one being a good leader. This is very good insight! You also touch on some other great themes such as the importance of having a mentor, and also being flexible in the workplace. I love hearing that there isn’t one single experience that you enjoy most. Rather, the collective experience has been fulfilling to you. I am so happy to hear. Continue to do greatness on your internship!

Go Blue!