Looking Forward | #6

Having been on a dig for almost six weeks now, I have learned a lot about myself. I have learned that my body can adjust quickly to intense physical demands. I have learned that I quite enjoy using a large pickaxe to move dirt. I have learned, though I had an idea, that I know very little about Ancient Greek life and history. I have really enjoyed my time in Olynthos. I have met some great people. I have learned a lot about Ancient life in the city. I have seen some really cool structures and sites.

By being here, I was able to interact with people who are very passionate about ancient archeology. This was something I have not really been exposed to so it was cool to see other people become very excited about it. I was allowed to be a part of uncovering history. It was really rewarding to take contents out of the ground that have been buried for thousands of years. Each fragment tells a different story. I am really glad I have been blessed with the opportunity to be a member of this team.

This experience has only confirmed my desire to work in a museum before attending medical school. I now have the experience of this part of history. I can take this to museum work. This helped me contextualize how we analyze and discover history. There are many layers to history that include bias in every step. I learned this in a history class in Ann Arbor and was able to gain first hand experience of that here. I am very fortunate to have been able to come on this trip.

One thought on “Looking Forward | #6

Alyssa,
    Congratulations on wrapping up your internship in Greece! Your time in Olynthos was clearly impactful and taught you a lot about yourself and interests. Your flexibility, ability to adjust to new circumstances, and acknowledge of how we view history, are all important skills/qualities you’re leaving with. Don’t hesitate to stop by the Hub in drop-ins or an appointment to learn more about how you can translate your experience to your resume/cover letter/interviews.

I’m glad that your experience this summer has helped to shape your connection with museum work and sharing history with others. I look forward to seeing where this takes you! Congratulations on wrapping up, and on a successful experience!

Thanks,
    Beth