My Supervisor aka My Mentor #4

I was so lucky to be assigned to the supervisor that I was able to work with. She was so much more amazing than I could have ever asked for. Every day she was extremely kind, open, passionate, and really willing to teach me. She went far out of her way to expose me to so many things because she genuinely cared to do so. Observing her work with clients was so inspiring. All of the clients that I saw her interact with really loved her and it was incredible to see. Even the toughest cases with kids that hated all of the other adults involved, she was able to get through to them and form a special bond with her clients.

We had one specific case with one of her clients who was in a situation where it seemed like everyone was rooting against her. The judge and the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) seemed to be doing everything in their power to not give this client a chance and send her off to placement. If she was placed, she was going to end up in a group home for 6 months to a year. My supervisor refused to be complacent and allow her client to receive less than she deserved. At LAS, we knew this client deserved a chance to live in the community and be given a chance to do well with services. My supervisor advocated day after day and came up with really creative ways to get a helpful outcome for her client. Both the lawyer on the case and I were so surprised when my supervisor was somehow able to get through to everyone else involved and get an extremely great outcome for her client. Her client was able to go home with her dad and weeks later is doing great out in the community. This is just one of many examples of how my supervisor was an amazing role model to me this summer. She genuinely has a love and passion for this work which made working with her so wonderful. I am so grateful to her for everything she provided me this summer as my supervisor.

Other social workers in the office were always so lovely to me and I am so grateful for that. Their passion for this work is so contagious. They always went out of her way to teach me. They allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and have real social work experiences. I loved watching them in action because they really are so incredible at what they do.

Everyone at the office was really wonderful to me. So many staff members were always willing to pull me in on a case or let me observe something going on. They genuinely wanted to teach me, it was so great. It was so fulfilling to work in an environment where everyone was so deeply passionate about the work that they were doing. The clients are so lucky to have the LAS staff on their side because they really do make miracles happen.