Working Full Time + Studying = Tired

My commitment to the campaign is a big one, and I’m more than happy to give that commitment because I know that I’m working with amazing, likeminded people to enact real change. That said, this campaign is not the only thing going on in my life at the moment. I am planning to go to law school after completing my undergraduate degree. That means, that I’ve got to face the beast of an exam that is the LSAT (*insert dramatic music*).

I will be taking the LSAT in September, but I have also already taken it in June. I was happy with my score, but I always like to take standardized exams twice, to see what my actual score would look like once I’ve gotten all of the nerves out of my system the first time around. That means that twice now, I have been studying for the LSAT while working full time. This is a super difficult feat, and I’ve definitely struggled at times with balancing this. However, I know what my priorities are, and that means I’ve taken steps to ensure that I can handle both:

1. I get up at the crack of dawn to study for the LSAT: Yes, I know. This sounds nuts to any college student, and would have sounded terrible to me before I started doing it myself. But hear me out: for a lot of us, every moment during the day, someone or something is demanding our attention. This can be work, family, friends, personal needs, the laundry that’s been piling up, etc. If there’s no way to get around these things, the next best thing is to get up early enough to get the things done that you need to. I’ve noted that I’m more productive first thing in the morning, rather than when I come home tired after a long day. It’s also much easier to do the things you want to do before the world knows you’re awake. So, I wake up every morning at around 5 or 6, take some time to wake up, and then start studying until I have to head to the office.
  2. I realize that my social life will be practically non-existent this summer: I’m okay with this. I’ll see my friends after I emerge from LSAT prep hell, and I’ve got goals I’m working towards this summer: getting my candidate elected, and getting my LSAT score up. However, I do still make it a priority to see friends and family on occasion because it’s so important to have those breaks.
  3. I make sure everyone is aware of what my priorities are: The week before my first LSAT, I asked my supervisor if I could take the week to work from home so I could ensure I got in as much studying as possible. My family and friends know that I’m putting in all this hard work, and they encourage and support me as I can. One friend in particular checks in regularly to see how I’m doing/make sure I haven’t been overwhelmed. The people at work know that I am working toward this goal of going to law school and some who have attended law school themselves have offered advice and support.

It is an incredibly difficult feat to balance what feels like two full time commitments, but I know where my priorities are and I have been able to successfully do both all summer. All I know is that after the election, and then after the LSAT, I’ll definitely need to catch up on some well-deserved rest!

One thought on “Working Full Time + Studying = Tired

Thank you for sharing, Amal! My name is Zane Harding and I’m an intern at the Hub. I will be following your blog posts throughout the summer.

You described such a powerful moment in your previous blog. I can totally see how the room was moved to tears by your coworker because I teared up reading it. The fact that he is persevering and doing what he is passionate about despite facing everyday struggles and constant discrimination due to his disability.

I think the phrase “*insert dramatic music*” is a perfect way to summarize taking the LSAT. I have multiple friends in the process of studying and taking/retaking the LSAT right now, so I am familiar with the challenge you are facing. With that in mind, I am very, very happy to hear that you already have a score you are happy with under your belt! I am particularly impressed that you are continuing to wake up in the morning to study for the LSAT despite having a good score already, too. It sounds like you have a fantastic work ethic. I personally wake up early to run every morning because my primary focus is on my health at the moment, but before that, my primary focus was on improving my writing, so I would wake up and write for an hour every day. You have to make time to give your goals your undivided attention, and I commend you for doing so!

I’d be curious to hear further reflections from you on how the lesson from your last blog could impact you in the future. It is so crucial for us to care and respect for people who battle against a lack of privilege every day, and this sentiment is pushed aside time and time again. Thank you so much for sharing.