Final Thoughts and Reflection | Blog #6

Upon starting my internship, I was scared of all of the mystery and changes my internship journey would bring. I was worried about living in a new place, working in a new city with new people at a new company and industry I have never worked in before. I was so scared of what was to come, but I still boarded my plane, hoping the opportunity would prove my fears wrong. It was so hard at first to adjust, but after a bit of time I found myself adjusting to life in the Bay Area and the atmosphere of my internship. When I started, I remember being so scared and worried about what was to come, and I almost wanted to give up a few weeks in. I’m glad I didn’t give up on it after such a short amount of time, as I feel like I’ve learned so much from my time here and like I have grown in such great ways. I’ve learned a ton about the legal industry I never expected to work in, i learned to navigate my first large city experience, I’ve tried new foods and went outside of my comfort zone, and I was exposed to a whirlwind of different cultures and experiences here in the Bay Area. I learned how to explore and do things on my own and have found fun in the small things I have found here everyday.

As my internship comes to a close, I find myself reflecting on home much I have truly grown this summer. To anyone coming to the Bay Area for an internship, I would recommend keeping an open mind before getting here and trying as much as you can both at your internship and outside of it. Be open to new experiences and going outside of your comfort zone.

During my time here, I found myself actually enjoying phone calls with clients as well as helping them on live chat. I wasn’t thrilled to work on these tasks at first, but after genuinely giving them a shot, I found myself enjoying the work I was doing. I think being able to experience first hand working on the client facing side of the business has helped me learn a lot about how customers think and optimizing the site to make things easier for customers to navigate. Even the opportunities that may seem tedious or unimportant can yield great results, and I would recommend for any intern coming to the Bay Area or really anywhere to take any opportunity to step up that you are given. It shows a lot of great things about your character and may help you find an area of the business you know you’d love to work in or something you’d love to avoid in the future.

As well, don’t forget to explore as much as possible while you’re here! There is so much to see and do, and if you don’t get out there and explore you’re missing a key piece of being an intern in a new city. You learn a ton from your workplace but just as much from living in a new area, especially a city like San Francisco. If you’re going to intern in the Bay Area, don’t be afraid to get out there and see as much of the city as you can. It was immensely rewarding to me and will forever be in my memory.

This summer has been amazing, I’ve enjoyed my time interning in San Francisco greatly and can’t wait to see where I’ll end up next summer! If it’s anything like this summer, I’m sure I won’t be disappointed.

Until then,

Stacie