Internship Structure

What I’ve liked most about my internship is the structure the company has in planning what the summer internship is going to be like. It takes a lot of effort and planning to take on 5 full time interns which is what my company has. But they have made sure it would be a positive and meaningful experience for both me and the company. During the first week I had a series of trainings with different employees so that I could start getting to know everyone. I also had a few one-on-ones planned with different people so that I could ask questions and people could get to know me. The fact that this was already planned for me was a really nice welcome. It made me feel like I was an important asset to the team.

They also had me fill out a learning contract so that I could stay on track with my objectives and so that they can know what I am looking for in this internship. The structure has really helped me to stay focused throughout the whole experience. I also have a check in with my boss every monday at 10:30 which is another great way to stay on track. When the employer puts in a little extra effort it really does make a difference to the intern. This is something I will remember if I am ever in a role to be in charge of interns.

Some places don’t really know what it means to have an undergrad in the office. It means that we are ready and eager to learn. We are also skilled, innovative university students. It’s great to take summer interns but it’s important we get something in return. I’m finally happy with my summer experience!

Tansy

Biology and Environment major at the University of Michigan. Boston --> Ann Arbor --> Piran, Slovenia. I <3 sailing, backpacking, theater, and baking.

One thought on “Internship Structure

Hi Tansy,
    Thanks for sharing your appreciation for the intentional onboarding and learning process for interns at WegoWise! It’s clear that they value each person joining the team, even for a limited amount of time. What a great opportunity to connect with your colleagues, be welcomed to the company, and have a chance to ask questions from the start.

I’d love to hear more about the goals on your learning contract, and how your prepare for and share updates during your weekly check ins. Is the amount of support and communication about progress something you might look for in future roles?

You mentioned a little bit about what it means for a company to host/have an undergrad student as an intern. How might you express the strengths and skills you mentioned to an employer in a natural way? It’s great you’re already identifying what you uniquely bring to an experience!

So glad that it’s going well,
    Beth