Mid Summer Lull | #4

As I march towards my last few weeks here at Mount Rushmore in South Dakota, time seems to be slowing down. At first glance, this might seem like something negative, but it is quite the contrary, as I have been loving the projects I have been working on at Xanterra, and the energy at the national park in the peak of its popularity in late summer.

I have made fantastic progress on my Parksmart project, looking to continue certifying the garage to very high sustainability standards. As well, I have been a part of selecting a new greenhouse and designing a hydroponic system for the rooftop. Through this project, I have learned so much about the world of hydroponic farming and am excited to see my vision come to life soon as we are installing the greenhouse in a couple of weeks. This is something that is going to change the game for the kitchen at Mount Rushmore by boosting crop yield, which between you and me, has been lacking somewhat in the fresh vegetable and fruit department.

In closing, I am continuing to love my time at Mount Rushmore, and feel a strong sense of accomplishment as I move into the end of my time spent working on my projects. I am so happy and lucky to have had the ability to pursue this opportunity this summer, and really am looking forward to the rest of my time here in the coming weeks.

A photo of our hike to the top of Black Elk Peak, the highest peak east of the Rockies.