Reflecting On My Summer | Post #6

Now that I’ve reached the end of my stay in Washington D. C. I can say, without a doubt, that this experience has been invaluable to my personal and professional life. First and foremost this summer has solidified the direction I want to take in my career; without a doubt I want to move to D.C. as soon as possible! Just from a personal aspect, I now know that D.C. has everything that I could ever want while living in a city – beautiful scenery, tons of extracurriculars, and a thriving work atmosphere. As for my professional life; my internship at the Department of Transportation really allowed me to experience what it’s like to work for a federal agency – turns out I like it. Because of the experience from this internship I definitely want to continue pursuing a career in the federal government.

My biggest piece of advice for anyone who is beginning an internship in Washington D.C. would be to try to make the most out of every situation you can. If you finish up a project early, immediately ask for a new one. Ask if you could attend a meeting or conference for something that interests you at you job. Are you interested in a certain career field? Ask a person in that field to go to coffee! Literally just do anything you can do to become more involved during your time there!

2 thoughts on “Reflecting On My Summer | Post #6

Hi Grant! I appreciate your reflections on the trip. I am happy to hear that you had a very positive internship.

It really sounds like the D.C. lifestyle suits you! I agree that it is more fun to rush to make a morning train instead of sitting in a car in rush-hour traffic. I also am glad to hear that you enjoyed the lifestyle of working in an office. It’s crazy how much work there is to do once you get into a setting like the one you were in.

I am so glad that you had a chance to visit the Capitol building, and it’s so cool that you received the chance to go onto the floor of the House of Representatives! Getting a “fly-on-the-wall” experience of a congressional briefing may come in handy in the future, as well.

All in all, Grant, I am glad that D.C. has treated you well. I’d be curious to hear what your future plans are and whether you intend on exploring other cities or if this trip really set you on a future in our nation’s capital. Regardless, congratulations on a successful internship and good luck in the future. Stay proactive.

Zane

Hi Grant – It’s been wonderful to read your posts and hear about your experience with the FMCSA! As of this post, you’ve met your blogging requirements for the summer (though you are welcome to continue posting). Once you’re back on campus, please know you are welcome to stop by the Hub to discuss how you can represent your accomplishments on your resume, LinkedIn, or in the networking conversations you mentioned here. I hope you’ve been enjoying some downtime in the time since your internship wrapped up!