3 – Catching-Up/Bookkeeping

I apologize for the lack of posts! With work and other commitments going on, I just have been slacking on posting. But some things have been happening throughout the three weeks to make up for it! This will be about the first week.

So my mentor went on a family trip so this was my first week on my own with a list of things I have to do in the mean time. Easy enough am I right? Running synthesis, reading papers, learning new techniques, just an “easy” week in my eyes.

But sometimes thinking it’ll be easy is the first step towards a challenge. We have a system for our synthesis: we write on the vials what groups have been added, and we have a separate sheet that says what runs have been/need to be run. You can see where this is all going. When the vial doesn’t match the list, that’s when you run into a bookkeeping issue!

So I was stuck that week. I wanted to run our experiment and get more work done that needed to be done. But I knew in the back of my head that the right thing to do was to let my mentor know and wait. It was just a really unfortunate situation in my eyes. But the right thing was to not do something. As I want to believe, if you feel uncomfortable doing something, then you shouldn’t do it. In that situation, I was just that and I didn’t want to propagate an error because of it.

What a week that was.

One thought on “3 – Catching-Up/Bookkeeping

Great reflection and judgement. I am sure that you checked everything else off the list that could be achieved without running the experiment. As the week has passed, my only suggestion, and you probably did so, is to document through email or whatever internal communication you use.