Identity | Blog #4

When considering my identity, many things come to mind–I am Jewish, a woman, a native Ohian, and a Michigan student, among many other things. While I identify with all of these categories, I choose to see my identity in a broader sense–I am combination of all of these things, rather than a representation of each one individually. As I continue through my internship at Bravo & Oxygen (NBCUniversal), however, I find aspects of all of these aforementioned identities making an impact on my time with the company each and every day.

Starting with my role as a Jewish employee–I have found such a home in the Bravo and Oxygen community, as there are so many others who have shared similar experiences as me just because of our similar religious background. My previous internship did not represent as heavy of a Jewish population, which was totally fine, but this experience has opened my eyes to a broader community within the Bravo and Oxygen world. Similarly, as a woman, it is so amazing to work with such a large number of talented, driven, and experienced females at this company. Far more often than not, any meeting or conference room is predominately is filled with women, and I find that to be extremely special, given how successful these networks have proven to be.

As a native Ohioan, I expected to feel like an outsider in the east coast; and, while I did start to pick up on some of my midwestern mannerisms, I found that not only were there many other people from the midwest working for the company, but so many of my midwestern habits were appreciated by my colleagues–such as smiling and making meaningful connections with others. As a Michigan student, I have found a number of alumni who were excited to connect and share their stories with me, and for that I am extremely grateful. This part of my identity will certainly stick with me as I enter my professional career, and I look forward to paying it forward to the next generation of Michigan students, just as so many alumni have so graciously done for me.

Jaime R

Programming Strategy Intern @ CMT/Viacom Media Networks

One thought on “Identity | Blog #4

Thank you for sharing this reflection about your identities, Jaime. It’s really nice to hear that you were able to find communities that you shared identity with during your internship. It sounds like your Midwestern identity really came in handy in helping you to build positive relationships with your colleagues.

I’m especially excited to hear about your experience leveraging your Michigan connection to meet other folks. Were any of the alumni you talked to doing work that you’re interested in? Did hearing their stories give you any clarity about yourself and what your path may look like?

Maggie