Time Management | Post 2

One thing I wouldn’t have particularly guessed would be important for working in a biology lab is time management, but I’ve learned since working here it is one of the most important skills you can have. When working with cell cultures, you have to learn to work around their clocks- they all grow at their own rate, and it takes a significant amount of time. So unless you want to waste a lot of time, you have to run multiple experiments at once- and then it becomes a balancing act, where you have to a) leave yourself enough time to do the experiments, b) space the experiments so the cultures grow properly, and c) fit it all within a reasonable workday (difficult if you try fitting multiple experiments with a 6 hour growth period into a 9 hour day). It certainly isn’t easy, but it’s a valuable skill for life- not just in the lab

One thought on “Time Management | Post 2

Hi Aaron! My name is Shaina and I’m an intern at the Hub. Thank you for sharing about your experience thus far as a Research Assistant at UM, it sounds amazing! Unpacking and moving locations can be very stressful, but I am glad you were able to learn something from the experience. Knowing the correct set-up of a laboratory is valuable knowledge and can save you significant time when doing your research. And you are absolutely correct when discussing how time management is a valuable life skill. I will be curious to know what other skills you learn while doing research that can be focused not only on the job itself but your future career and academic goals. I love to see that you are learning so much from your internship and I am excited to continue reading about your amazing experience!