Blog #6 – Final Thoughts

This internship has been very enlightening. I learned more about the political sector and how government works and I am inspired to work in a similar office in the future.

When I began my internship, I knew that I was interested in this kind of work, but I wasn’t sure if I would actually like it in practice. However, over these last few months I have realized that there is a lot of room to be very influential when working in a federal office. While the Congresswoman is working on the federal level to pass bills and influence the law, the staff members in the office are interacting with constituents on a daily basis and assisting them with things that have a significant impact on their quality of life. From helping constituents get their social security benefits to contacting federal agencies regarding immigration cases, the staff are constantly engaging with the citizens of this district and working to better their lives. This direct contact with the people the Congresswoman represents is not something that I expected to see during my time here. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a good chunk of the staff members’ jobs are to answer constituent requests and make sure action is taken on any problems.

This is the kind of work I hope to do in the future. I know that changing laws is extremely important, but making sure citizens actually receive the benefits of these laws is equally important. It is useless for something to be made official on paper if it does not translate to real life. The staff members at this office are in charge of this translation. This internship has had the most impact on informing me of the kind of work that I want to do after I graduate. I plan on attending law school, but first I am taking two gap years to work and gain more experience. This internship has shown me that I would greatly enjoy working in a similar office during this time.

2 thoughts on “Blog #6 – Final Thoughts

Hi Zainab! I’m thrilled to hear that you had an enlightening internship. I have really enjoyed reading these stories from it on your blog!

I thought it was interesting that your internship devoted time to socialization between you and the other interns! The relationships you develop during an internship are one of the most important things about the experience, so I am very glad that you had the time to develop some relationships within your office. That book club idea sounds very cool, too! That’s something I might suggest that we do here at my internship in the future (I’m not sure extra reading will go over well during the school year, but hey, it can be optional!).

Your fifth post on identity was very interesting and enlightening. I have heard all too often from peers and friends interning in D.C. that supervisor positions and other positions of power are predominantly occupied by men, especially white cisgender men. I am not sure that it was deliberate in your office either, as I am not close to the situation, but it is disturbing that it is a repetition of a larger pattern. I am grateful that I have had many great female leaders and supervisors in my jobs over time, and I hope that it becomes more commonplace to have women in positions of power over time.

All in all, I’m glad that this was an enriching experience for you. The fact that this internship made you realize that you want to do this type of work in the future makes me very happy to hear. I’d be curious to hear what made you decide on a two-year gap between undergraduate and law school, but I think you have a great plan in place! Congratulations.

Hello Zainab – I really enjoyed learning about your internship experience with your Congresswoman’s office! I want to acknowledge that as of this post, you’ve met your six blog requirement (though you are welcome to continue posting). Once you’re back on campus, please know you are welcome to stop by the Hub to discuss how you can represent your accomplishments on your resume, LinkedIn, or in networking conversations. I hope you get some downtime in these last few weeks of summer!