De Line Pictures | Hollywood Internship Week 5

Although I’ve started developing a desperate craving need for coffee over the past two weeks, I’m getting more passionate than ever about this pathway into my career. A couple days ago, I graduated from the UCLA School of Theater, Film, and Television’s summer creative producing program. Getting the opportunity to speak to a variety of individuals in the entertainment industry (including a woman who helped form the Easterseals Disability Film Challenge, which—with an autistic little sister—I’ve been interested in) has been exponentially valuable. They helped me come to terms with the fact that I’m not interested in attending law school anymore, offering a plentitude of pathways to get to my end goal of becoming a writer and producer. The other people in the program and I have bonded over final projects, coffee shop runs, and beach trips. I seriously hope to keep in touch with the people I’ve met out here, including a few rare people I now consider to be lifelong friends (I very much lucked out by rooming blind, considering my roommate is now one of those people).

At De Line, I’ve been witness to the process of a production company bidding on a novel they found potentially intriguing to produce into a movie. I wrote the summary/coverage on this sci-fi novel focused on the concept of time and memories, so I’ve been kept in the loop about the status of this production. One night after work, I randomly received a call from my supervisor, who said that Donald De Line was on the phone, curious about my opinion concerning the book. Considering an ability to form an opinion is one of the most prized skills out in Hollywood, I was more than happy to rave about the 450-page novel I had read within 24 hours.

In the meantime, I’m getting more excited to head back to U of M. I miss my friends and the family I’ve formed in Ann Arbor, and I’m very excited to begin working on passion projects with my people, applying all that I’ve learned this summer towards my studies.