First Day on the Job #1

March 21st, 2018

Today was the first day of my internship in Washington D.C. For the next 11 weeks, I will be an Audit Relations Intern at the Office of the Secretary at the U.S Department of Transportation. I was drawn to this specific opportunity because I had always been interested in experiencing work in the public sector.

I was a bit overwhelmed on the first day because the DOT Headquarters was so large and grand that I felt nervous as I waited for my escort to meet me. Once I was brought to the 9th floor, I met my supervisor and boss. They gave me an hour-long orientation meeting where we discussed the project I will be working on this summer as well as some other administrative tasks.

The goals that I have for this internship is to learn how to effectively communicate with my team, develop analytical skills, and to improve the skills I will need to be able to adjust to working 9-5. My expectations for this internship is that I am respected, included, challenging myself, and given projects with value and impact. I hope to learn what my strengths are at the workplace and what weaknesses that I need to improve on.

One thought on “First Day on the Job #1

Hi Hayoung! My name is Maggie Davidson and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer to learn about your experience.

It’s cool to hear that you got an internship in a sector you were hoping to explore! It sounds like you have some really specific goals for this summer. That’s great! I know it’s late in your internship now, but I would encourage you to find some concrete things you can do to make sure you are working toward achieving those goals.

Maggie