Banana Bread #5

What is your most memorable food memory during your time abroad?

Last week I brought in a banana bread I had made, as one of my fellow interns had seen me eating some and told me she loved banana bread. I brought it in, and everyone liked it. It made me feel wonderful that I could have done something that made so many people a little bit happier. It was an especially poignant food experience because that day was my friend’s (the fellow intern) last day at the internship. It was so weird to think about how fast the summer had gone by, and how in a few short weeks my other interns and I would be back in school.

Last Friday the second intern I worked with left, and sometimes I remember the banana bread, and it seems so silly, but it made me feel a bit closer to them, as I still have a week left of my internship without them. Of all the amazing foods I’ve tasted in the D.C. area, and trust me, there were a lot of them, this memory is much more memorable than some of the others. I think this is because my time and work went into the bread. I fed it to people I really care about, and that stuck with me. Much more important than the really good black bean burger I ate at that one place on that one street that one time.

In this way, as in so many, food isn’t just memorable because of the taste, but also because of what was happening when that food was made/consumed. (Although my favorite fruit is banana, so taste is definitely a part of it). For me, the banana bread helped me understand that my internship is quickly approaching its end, and that I need to prepare myself for it.

One thought on “Banana Bread #5

Hi Mackenzie! It sounds like you have had a very informative summer so far! You have been able to get your hands on some really important work and have had experiences that are educational and unforgettable. I’d be curious to know what you will do with these lessons and memories when you exit your internship. I highly recommend using the services and resources offered at the Opportunity Hub to help you maximize this experience. Our coaches can help you articulate your experiences in resumes, cover letters, and future interviews. You surely don’t want to forget all of the great things you’ve been learning in DC, or the people that you’ve connected with. They can also help you figure out what moves you want to make next and how to stay in touch with your network. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you at the Hub this fall!