Diving Into Digitas | #6

It’s my last week of my internship and I cannot believe how quickly time has flown. The famous saying goes, “time flies when you’re having fun!” I guess that really is what happened to me this summer.

I could not be more grateful for my summer here at Digitas. I have learned more this summer than I ever could have imagined, and that is something I can say was not an easy task. Working at a full-service agency has exposed me to each and every aspect of the advertising world. The accomplishments I have made have made me really feel lucky to have had a summer at a world-class advertising agency. I learned over 100 new terms related to media. Excel became a close friend of mine. Speaking to clients has become a daily occurrence for me. Communicating with SVP’s have become second nature. I can explain programmatic buying to a 10-year-old. I can read and understand a media plan faster than I drink my morning iced latte!

I believe that a critical factor in why I enjoyed my internship so much is that I saw the tangible results of my work. It was extremely rewarding to be watching a show, seeing an ad I helped come to life, and exclaim, “I DID THAT!” The countless hours I put into understanding how media planning works from initial proposal to execution to the analysis of metrics paid off when my excitement overflowed as I saw these ads in my daily life. On one of the first days here at Digitas, we interns were asked, “why advertising?,” and the reason I gave has applied now more than ever. I asserted that advertising and its effects are something that no one can escape – no one is immune to ads (something I learned in Communications 281!), and that its effects are much more pervasive than anyone believes. I wanted to be a part of something that has such an impact of individuals and their way of thought, probably due to my affinity for psychology as well.

Moving forward, I most definitely want to be a part of the media/advertising world as a whole. Personally, I believe that whatever field and specific role I work in must have an effect that is larger than me and the company I am working at. I want to have a lasting effect on those around me, and my career should be no different. I definitely see myself working in media planning in the future. It’s something I am passionate about, and allows me to have that effect I was yearning for on the world around me. I cannot wait to see what the future brings.

One thought on “Diving Into Digitas | #6

Rebecca,

We are so proud of you at the Hub! I really enjoyed reading your blog posts over the summer and the meaningful content you provided. Additionally, I am so happy to read that Digitas was everything you wanted from your internship experience. Kudos to you for giving yourself grace for doing a great job at Digitas and for being a leader and best. Undoubtedly, I know you’ll do well in advertising or any career path you embark upon down the road. If I can leave you with parting words, “Follow your passion, the provision will follow.” Great job this summer and we look forward to seeing you in the fall!

Go Blue!

DeMario