My Career and Beyond #6

I’m very fortunate that I have been confident that I wanted to go into the environmental field since I first applied to University of Michigan. Making the world a more sustainable place and protecting the planet for future generations is what gets me out of bed and to my 8 AMs on time. I have however struggled with which of the many professional avenues it would be best for me to follow. I dipped my toe in sustainable business, environmental education, and several other fields, before ultimately landing on environmental communications (of course always subject to change though).

This summer internship has not only taught me more about the field of environmental communications, but reconfirmed my interest. This is one area of environmentalism where I will get to truly put my own voice and perspectives in to practice. I will be able to write stories about the environmental issues that are closest to my heart and show the human component of them. I will be able to utilize the people skills I have developed throughout my life to find the best approach to reaching diverse audiences.

Over the years I have found that one of the deepest problems within the environmental movement is the lack of a human component. Yes, it is heartbreaking to watch a polar bear on floating ice… but there are indigenous children who have to travel from their native lands because rising sea levels have wiped away their homes. In an environmental communications career I will be able to take control of the narrative and focus efforts to the people who will be most impacted by climate change.

One thought on “My Career and Beyond #6

Thank you for sharing, Kevin! I am happy to hear that the internship experience has confirmed your interest in environmental communications as a career field. Be sure to visit the Opportunity Hub this fall to get help in discovering what opportunities are available for you within the field. Thanks again for sharing this summer and have a great year. – Jake