My Favorite Experience | #6

I have had a lot of great experiences at my internship, such as learning my way around the administrative functions of a psychotherapy clinic, learning about various clinical theories and their application in practice, and being able to sit in on psychotherapy sessions to see how it works and how psychotherapists go about treating the patient. But my favorite (ongoing) experience is interacting with all the therapists that work here, as well as my co-workers (secretaries for some of the therapists). Talking to people about something they know about is a great way to gain a lot of knowledge, and everyone knows a bit about something. By learning from people, you can take their experiences and knowledge and apply it to your own life to improve yourself. Each therapist has a unique style and their own specializations as well, so by talking to all the therapists I learn something new each time. Interacting with everyone in the clinic also helped me develop good relations with everyone and made my experience more fun and enjoyable, so I’m glad I took the time to talk to everyone and learn from them rather than just keeping to myself.

One thought on “My Favorite Experience | #6

Hadi, thank you for sharing your insight about the value of learning from others in your internship. I totally agree–building relationships is so key to having a good experience in internships and in life in general, and being open to learning from others is a really important skill. It sounds like you really worked hard at building relationships and learning from the people you were working with and I can tell that it has already paid off since you have learned so much and had such a good experience. It is important to identify some folks to keep in touch with because these connections can be helpful as you move forward in your career in psychotherapy. Maybe one of them would be a good mentor, or maybe one of them could someday help connect you to a job.

I do want to acknowledge that, as this is your sixth post, you have now met your requirement for blogging reflections for us. I have sincerely enjoyed following along with your experience this summer and thank you for sharing it with me. You are more than welcome to continue to blog if you find it helpful for you, and I will continue to read them, but I just wanted you to know that your requirement is complete!

Maggie