Takeaways and Future Plans | #6

It’s hard to believe I only have one more week left at Harvard! I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about my future plans during this summer. I was initially very set on going straight through from undergrad to graduate school, but after talking to a number of graduate students in my lab, I think I’m more open to the idea of taking a gap year. Someone pointed out to me that you can gain valuable experience during a gap year that would make you more competitive in the application process, and I’m starting to consider that option more seriously. I’m also contemplating my career plans and the kind of field I want to go into. For instance, before this internship I didn’t know that business schools and the private sector often hire psychology graduate students, and it’s comforting to know I have a wider array of possible career trajectories than I initially thought. I absolutely want to do something involving psychology, but knowing I’m not limited to psychology departments is encouraging. I feel better prepared for the future after this internship, and having the opportunity to talk to and work with researchers in my field at such an accomplished university has been an invaluable experience. I’m definitely going to miss my time in Cambridge!

One thought on “Takeaways and Future Plans | #6

Congratulations, Sandra! You should feel great about what you accomplished during this summer internship. While you might feel in place of having more questions about what’s next, it is wonderful that you’ve had an experience that has helped you come up with those questions so you can explore things now before, as you mentioned, jumping right in to grad school.

I would love to encourage you to consider making an appointment with a coach here at the Opportunity Hub. They are wonderful people, trained to help you continue to explore those questions and to brainstorm with you additional potential paths to explore. You are absolutely 100% right that your psychology degree has prepared you to be successful in a number of various career paths, and the Hub coaches can be helpful in connecting you with ways to explore those that are of interest to you. I hope you’ll consider taking advantage of this resource, and keep in mind that you can make a virtual appointment if you’re interested in having a conversation prior to when you are back on campus.

Until then, thank you again for sharing your experience and your journey with me. I wish you all the best!

And, wherever you go, Go Blue!