“That Concludes the Morning Docket” | #6

Last week was my final week at the Office of the Public Defender. It was an exciting week, filled with new responsibilities and the sense that I was finally getting the hang of what I was doing (just in time to leave). I ran more client interviews in court than ever before, always knew where the files were, identified a client walking in on a bench warrant just by hearing their name, and taught a law student how to do jail interviews without the help of our attorney. I was trusted with a lot, which two of the law student interns even acknowledged themselves.

I change my mind about what I want to do with my future quite often. It’s been an emotionally exhausting summer as I’ve tried to decide whether to put my energies towards studying for the GRE or the LSAT. And, at the end of this internship, I’ve decided to do both. I’m reteaching myself high school math principles for the sake of the GRE, which I’ll take at the end of this month, and I’m going to study for (and take, with all luck) the November LSAT. A large part of this decision involved coming to terms with the fact that I wasn’t dreading the thought of attending law school; I was dreading the thought of taking the LSAT, and I can’t let one test be the barrier to my entire future.

The next steps are deciding where I want to practice in the future. I’ve had many sources recommend that you go to law school generally where you’re willing to take the bar and build you career. At first, I was adamant that I wanted to get out of Michigan and go to a big city. Now, Detroit is looking like a good option to me — it’s on the rebound, and home to Wayne Law, where I’m fairly confident I would get in if I applied. I’m not sure where I’ll end up or what will happen in the next few months, but I know at the very least I’ll be able to stay in the state and near my family if I decide to do so. For now, I’m just going to take it one day at a time, do a bit of test practice every day, and get through all the standardized tests to the practice on the other side.

Vivian T

I'm a rising senior in LSA, History major, minors in Religion and Museum Studies!