Work and Work Some More – #3

Last Monday and Tuesday was arguably the most strenuous and mentally taxing period of time I have spent in lab. On Monday I had to prepare 2 time course experiments. The gist of the experiments involved preparing 2 different cancer cell cultures, in 4 well-plates each. As a result, I had to prepare 3 different drugs at 5 different concentrations, administer the drugs, and image 8 plates over a 12 hour window at different intervals. The imaging itself was the most troublesome part of the experiment. Because I needed to take images of the cells  1, 3, 6, and 12 hours post-inoculation, I had to spend virtually the entire day in and out of lab. Unfortunately, preparing 8 plates takes a significant amount of time, and I was unable to add the drugs until 2 PM. Doing some quick math, I realized I was going to have to be in lab at 5 PM, 8 PM, and 2 AM. At that point, I made an executive decision and chose to alter my experimental procedure. I took the final images at 7 AM and got my 8 hours of sleep. Thankfully, despite the stressful time constraints and the hours spent monitoring my cancer cultures, my data turned out very nicely. My research mentor was impressed and acknowledged my hard work, which ultimately made the experience worth while (in addition to the solid data).

One thought on “Work and Work Some More – #3

Timothy, I have genuinely been fascinated with your posts and the intricate cell work you are doing in the lab. Being able to address the challenges that you have faced along with reflecting upon the ways you have overcome them is a great skill to have. It is impressive that you were able to critically think about how to take the images of the cells at the necessary times, but do it in a productive way (and maintain your 8 hours of sleep). Also, receiving acknowledgement from your research mentor is so important. Knowing that they see the hard work you are putting into your internship suggests that they could be a great professional mentor as you move forward in this field of work. It is great to have them as resource as you navigate your professional work!