First Few Weeks – Post 2

Sunburnt skin and constantly dirty fingernails are just a few of the perks of working on a farm. My first month or so at Nature and Nurture Organic Farm has been ridiculously informative and enjoyable. At this point we haven’t gotten to harvest much beyond kale, spinach, and purple-sprouting broccoli which were grown in the hoop house to bear the colder temperatures.

Most of the work we’ve been doing has been preparing the farm for planting, sowing seeds, and caring for the starter plants growing indoors. It has mostly been what I expected, but I enjoy that roughly a quarter of each day is spent in discussion led by Mike and Erica to teach more to the interns.

One of the biggest challenges is the occasional monotonous task such as pruning or the physically demanding tasks like forcing logs and mulching. But organic farm can’t be done without them, right? These tasks, though challenging or just plain boring, add up to huge ecological improvements over time.

My fellow interns are smart and fun to be around. When working on tasks in pairs or teams, we share interesting and engaging conversation on all kinds of topics.

One of our very first days! Fellow intern Maya said I looked “epic” and took a picture.

A few miles hiking is always a great icebreaker!

One thought on “First Few Weeks – Post 2

Wow! Love those pictures and you do look epic in that shot on the truck!

What an exciting sight to see the great work that you’re doing and it is amazing that you’re getting to learn and reflect with your supervisors at work. I can only imagine the joy it would be to do something wonderful for nature and concurrently being able to gain relevant academic knowledge from your supervisors.

Were you able to identify some skills that you were seeking to gain during your internship that would help in your future goals? If so, how has this internship helped you to build these skills, or not?

Looking forward to following on your journey! Have a great time and can’t wait to hear all the wonderful experiences and the wealth of information you carry back to Michigan!

PS: You can also submit some of your favorite (or all!) shots from your internship to this month’s photo contest for a chance to win some cool Hub swag (Link to submit: http://myumi.ch/Lzqox)