Leadership and Food | #5

With any internship, I recommend that you find yourself a great mentor. During this 8-week internship experience, I found myself a mentor. By found, I mean he graciously volunteered and I was an assigned intern. I think a great mentor someone who supports you in your overall endeavors, but not necessarily all of your actions. A mentor should offer advice for professional and personal development, and be willing and open to giving applicable advice.

During this internship I learned a lot about the industry and about leadership in general. This experience has made me be more appreciative and curious of the healthcare industry. I learned so much from the workshops during the internship as well, which taught us everything from emergency preparedness, to resume skills. While I have always seen hospitals as complicated, this experience allowed me to see it with a newer perspective of the intricacy of supplies and mergers going on. With leadership and the culture of this place, I learned how important it is, as a leader, to set examples and show up. It was wonderful to see the effort of the executives and employees, to go out of their way to greet the interns or attend their final presentation.

During this internship, I got some insight into how I would be in an office job. To me, internships are trial positions for jobs in a prospective career or to learn more about a different career/industry. Aside from not being active enough during this time…. there was so much free food on top of me already using lunches/dinners to spend time with friends.

I went to have Japanese food for lunch with a friend and also ordered sushi for lunch. Just trying to adjust to the office life, you know? Classic intern things. (I ordered so much delivery…$.) With this summer, I planned a UM study abroad trip to India right after the internship ends. With this in mind, during NYC’s Restaurant Week, I went with my friend to try some Indian food that I haven’t really had before (featured image). Restaurant Week is a week (or two, in New York’s case) where these fine dining restaurants have a menu with a fixed price, where you get to choose an appetizer, entree, etc. Ann Arbor has one too, just cheaper. Anyway, apparently the place was a former Michelin star restaurant so that was cool to experience. Everything was so well seasoned, and the dessert had tamarind, which made it have such an interesting combination of sweet, savory, and a hint of some tangy, spicy, sour something. (Unintentional alliteration.

The next post will be about the internship’s final presentation (and day). The experience honestly went by so quickly. It’s weird to think that school is starting in less than a month. 

One thought on “Leadership and Food | #5

Hi Angie,

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying and learning so much from your internship thus far! It is great that you have been able to keep an open mind while learning about the new (for you) field of healthcare!

I really appreciate your thoughtful reflection about leadership and what it means to be a leader/mentor. I am curious to find out how you will change your leadership style for different positions when you get back to campus after witnessing so many different styles on your internship! Also how you plan to stay in touch with your professional mentor and reach out to them as a resource as you are furthering your career.

I am especially glad to hear that you stepped our of your comfort zone professionally, by attending networking events, and socially, by exploring the city and new foods! You really took the time to get the full feel of NYC during your experience which is also very important.

I am excited to read your last journal entry about the end of your internship!

-Shaina