Moving Up– Blog Post #5

I have spent the majority of my time during my internship last summer as well as this summer collecting data. Whether it was extracting data from patient records or compiling and organizing such information, understanding and interpreting the data I collected was a secondary process. However, over the course of the last few weeks, I have had the opportunity to meet with biostatisticians to analysis data that I have spent months collecting. Through working as part of my current lab for over a year now, I felt well-prepared for this privilege. Nonetheless, the process has still been challenging. Having to work at the intersection of statistical analysis and biological mechanism, the complexity of the subject matter has definitely pushed me to work harder to be able to meet the demands of my role as part of our research team. Although difficult, I am grateful to have this opportunity as I am not only make meaningful contributions to research, but I am playing a leading role in the project. I find this experience extremely rewarding because I believe the challenge brings out the best in me. Moreover, the research we are working on has the potential to improve the care physicians can offer their patients. I am truly fortunate to be a part of this process of discovery.