People’s Summer | #6

It’s here. Today is officially the day of the Primary Elections and my last day of the fellowship. It’s been a ride from start to finish, but I wouldn’t trade this summer experience for the world. I couldn’t fall asleep last night – anxious about today’s results, but still excited for the possibilities ahead. There’s a buzz of excitement and cautious hope within our team that is contagious.

The Help Desk today has been particularly busy – not only is it business as usual, but we have a landline directly connected to the Help Desk. Luckily, none of our Help Desk members are the ones answering the phones – we’ve been getting calls nonstop since 8 in the morning. Aside from that, our main focus on the Help Desk today is helping combat voter suppression – we have a legal team on standby and are in direct contact with them in case we get any instances of that.

As the minutes tick by, and the clock draw nearer to 8 PM, I can’t help but wonder what comes next. This campaign has been a huge part of my life for the past year – I’ve connected with so many people, learned so many things about myself and was honestly part of a movement bigger than myself. Maybe it’s just me, but I can feel the change in the air. People have been messaging us today from across the WORLD about supporting Abdul. I’ve lost count of how many messages we’ve gotten from people who haven’t voted in years and are casting their ballot for Abdul today. I can only hope that all this work, all the hours were worth it. And I think, even if we don’t win tonight, they were. I made lifelong friends, learned more about Michigan politics than I ever thought I would care for. Whatever the outcome of tonight’s election is, I know I won’t regret my decision to join this campaign. If anything, my only regret would be that I can’t continue this journey in the upcoming month. And hopefully, that regret will only be only that – a “would be”.

2 thoughts on “People’s Summer | #6

Hi, Alexandra. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your decision to work on this campaign. It sounds like you gained a ton out of it.

It really sounds like you helped developed a system as the work went on. I’d potentially talk about how you helped make the office run more efficiently in a bullet point on your resume. In general, though, it sounds like you had a lot of fun getting things to run more smoothly, even if the work was tedious, so that is great to hear.

I’m so glad to hear that you were able to maintain your role as an official Help Desk leader even when the other leader came back! I wouldn’t consider it selfish that you wanted to maintain that role when the other person returned – you had put in the work, so you deserved it. Another bullet point for the resume.

Finally, I just wanted to say that you absolutely made a big difference in helping to lead the campaign. I saw an article on Vox a week before the election about Abdul (I bet that’s where the worldwide support came from), so you guys really made your voices heard. Even though the election didn’t turn out as you all wanted, keep your heads held high and push hard in 2020 when you find a presidential candidate you truly care about. Great work!

Hi Alexandra – I really enjoyed reading about your experiences with the Abdul for Governor campaign. It’s fantastic that you were able to step into a leadership role and gain new confidence in your abilities over the course of the summer.

As of this post, you’ve met your blogging requirements for the summer (though you are welcome to continue posting). Once you’re back on campus, please know you are welcome to stop by the Hub to discuss how you can represent your accomplishments on your resume, LinkedIn, or in the networking conversations you mentioned here. I hope you’ve been enjoying some downtime in the time since your internship wrapped up!