Wrapping Up with TCFF | #6

The festival went by in a blink; it’s hard to believe it ended nearly two days ago. I didn’t do much more movie watching, but on Sunday I caught an odd double-feature of Burden and Never Goin’ Back with Chris, my primary chauffeur (one of the perks of not having a car up here has been the friendships I’ve made through bumming rides from other interns).

A lot of my regular responsibilities have gone with the festival. With it freshly over, there isn’t much need for social media promotion or website updates anymore. Ever since I put the last round of “Instagram Highlights” on our blog, my job has consisted of random disassemblies, from moving empty water coolers out of the Filmmaker Lounge to pulling wagons full of old Dell laptops from our box office back to the basement of the State Theatre, where they’ll stay until they’re used again next year for ticket sales.

Tomorrow is our last day at the office, most of which will be spent cleaning it; we really made a home out of it over the past few weeks. We also have plans to do a staff-exclusive movie viewing at the State tomorrow night, IF we can pick something that satisfies everyone. There’s been a heated debate between Dazed and ConfusedHoles and a few others. I’m just in it for the community really. Hope the others decide on something soon.

Moving forward, I still have a lot of soul-searching to do career-wise. This summer was undoubtedly one of the best experiences of my life, but I’m not sure if I would feel the same if I hadn’t liked my coworkers and atmosphere as much. I’ve definitely gained valuable skills and insights on both Public Relations and film festivals, but the job I pursue will depend on what I learn about myself over the next few years, and it’s possible that it won’t involve either of those things. I’ll still keep tabs on TCFF; I’d definitely be willing to work with them in the future, but it might be valuable for me to do some exploring first. Regardless I’m grateful for all the connections and experiences the festival brought me, and I’m excited for all the opportunities U of M will bring this fall!

One thought on “Wrapping Up with TCFF | #6

Wow, Lia! That was a great read from start to finish! So much happened along the way!

While I had some familiarity with the TCFF I’ve never really known much beyond the basics, so it was cool getting to hear so much more about the event. Also really interesting hearing about all the behind the scenes work that takes place at a variety of different levels. I’ve been to Traverse city a few times and it’s always been lovely, I guess at some point I’ll have to try and time coming during the film fest. The dark sky park is a place I’ve been only once before but it was pretty magical, I loved feeling so close to the universe while feeling so small at the same time.

It sounds like your internship experience was truly a great one marked by so many high points, along with so many learning experiences. Plus the time spent on your own doing your own thing provided it’s own experiences as well. It’s great that you were able to come away from your internship with such valuable insights and knowledge. Hopefully moving forward you can build on this experience and it will help guide you in exploring yourself, and also exploring what things are a good fit for you both personally and professionally.

I wish you the best of luck!