My Favorite Project / 6

Throughout this summer I have worked on many different projects at The Farm. However, my favorite one was my final project of painting a mural. I have interests and some talent in art and painting. I wanted to find a way to be able to incorporate that into my internship and I was able to by painting the door to the walk in cooler for the CSA shed. The CSA program at The Farm is self serve – meaning you can pick up your share anytime of day any day of the week. You could come at 3 am on a Sunday if that was most convenient for you. To make this possible, there is a large shed on The Farm. In it is a large walk in cooler where the CSA bags are stored. However, inside of the shed is not the prettiest. It is also quite hidden making first time pick ups very confusing. To help make the shed seem more approachable and understood, I had the idea to pain the door. This would draw people to the shed, show them very easily that this was the place to pick up their share, as well as beautify the area. I decided to paint an abstract vegetable collage. Each vegetable is very vibrant and texturized. It’s a very fun and bright design to draw the eye and make people smile. We want people to be comfortable at The Farm and picking up their shares and I wanted the door to help accomplish that. It can also be a learning tool for children at events or when they come with their parents to pick up their share. They can look at the funky veggies and try to name them. It is an engaging piece of art that livens up the shed.

The CSA shed with no art or good signage

2 thoughts on “My Favorite Project / 6

Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for another wonderful blog! Why should curiosity ever be “uncool”? I definitely agree with you that questions should be encouraged. I love the positive energy you are projecting, and I hope you continue to be curious with a thirst for knowledge!

Painting the shed door was such an inventive idea! We wouldn’t usually think about decorating anything on a farm given so many other tasks, but I think little details like these do make a difference. I especially like how you made the drawings interactive for visitors. It’s also awesome that you are suggesting projects based on your skills and interests- that’s such a great way to advocate for yourself!

As you are wrapping up your internship, it might be helpful to create a checklist of items you would like to complete before you move on to the next opportunity! What are also some specific moments you really wish to remember? (Your blogs already contain many endearing memories!) Thinking about the last day may be bittersweet, but you’ll feel so much better if you are well-prepared, finishing up projects nicely and having the time to say goodbye to your colleagues!

Thank you again for sharing your journey on St. Joe’s Hospital Farm. Keep striving in what you do, and I hope you have a great rest of your summer!

Best,
    Jenny

Hi Kathleen,
    I really enjoyed learning about your internship experience through your blogs! I want to acknowledge that with this post you’ve met the six blog requirement for the scholarship. You’re more than welcome to continue to blog and we’ll keep following your posts! However if this is the last time that we hear from you on the blog, I hope that you’ll have a chance to stop by the Hub this fall. We can chat about how you represent your experience on your resume, LinkedIn, or even in future interviews! Please let us know how we can be of help.

Best of luck in the final weeks of summer,
    Beth