My Phone Interview #1

The first time I talked to my boss, Evis, was on our scheduled phone interview for the photo and video internship position. I was out of Ann Arbor for the week (during Spring Break) and he had emailed me that more people were inquiring about the open position so he wanted to move our interview up. Not wanting to miss out on the opportunity, I offered to do an over the phone interview.

Of course I was nervous, I remember pacing around my living room at my dad’s house waiting for my phone to start ringing, it was even on sound mode, I didn’t want to chance not hearing it even though I was starring at it.

When the call finally did come I was prepared, I had visited their company website several times and knew the type of work they did (weddings & events). Their website was actually the main reason I initially sent my email to them inquiring about the position, it was so clean and modern, and their work showed the quality of photo and video that I wanted to learn. I had sent them my resume so they knew my experiences/qualifications, I had also worked as a photography intern the last summer and I had shot 2 weddings freelance by myself so I knew the process of filming a wedding.

The conversation ranged from talking about school and work experience to the type of cameras and equipment I had used before. One thing that Evis emphasized a lot in the conversation was how important teaching was in this internship. He made sure to let me know that even though filming events and weddings can at times be fast paced there would always be time at every event for them to teach me about the equipment, techniques, and the industry itself. I knew that I would be learning at every event I help shoot and at the office when I was editing.

At the end of the call, he offered me the internship. He basically said, “This was great, I like you…I will be sending you the internship agreement by email.” Approximately 3 hours after the phone call the internship agreement was in my inbox. I feel like phone interviews should be more routine because there is no bias of appearance or physically nervousness, it is all about the content of what you say and how well you can hold a conversation. I was so happy after ending the call, it was my first phone interview and it ended up being a great experience, I knew I was excited to start.

2 thoughts on “My Phone Interview #1

Hi Taylor! My name is Michael Joiner-Hill and I’m a Coach Lead at the Hub. I, along with Hub Intern Peyton, will be following along with your blogs this summer! Looking forward to learning about your internship experience!

Hi Taylor, my name is Peyton and I am an intern at the Hub. I will be following your blog this summer and have enjoyed reading about your interview along with seeing the amazing wedding photos you included. It seems like your phone interview went well and it shows your dedication to the position by requesting a phone interview despite being home for spring break. You mentioned that you were somewhat nervous as you waited for the interview, which is very normal. It can help to practice for interviews in order to feel more confident. In the future, the Hub coaches can help you to prepare for an interview and developing interview skills and confidence. In your next blogs, I would be interested in reading more about the work you have done and projects you are working on this summer.