The End | #6

It’s the day after the election, and after a long night of watching results roll in I’m proud to say that Jeff Irwin will be a brand new State Senator! These last few months of hard work have all been worth it to see someone I strongly respect voted into public office. His race came down to the wire, and ultimately he only won by 239 votes. This goes to show that every vote matters in elections and we should not take this right for granted. Looking back, I wish I would have known how rewarding this would all feel in the end. At the beginning of the internship in May it seemed as though this summer would drag by. I was not looking forward to knocking doors and completely what seemed like an insurmountable amount of work. Now that the election has come and gone, I could not be prouder of all the work I have accomplished; I now know that each door I knocked and each person I talked to about voting for Jeff could have been the deciding factor in this election. My favorite part about this internship was how closely I got to work with the candidate and how I was able to truly see how a campaign was run for the first time. I was also able to work with some amazing people who will continue to inspire me with their inhuman work ethic. This internship has only secured my belief that this is the type of career I wish to have someday. The world of politics is so interesting and it is ever changing. It is a field of work that can truly change people’s lives in a substantial manner. I am forever grateful for this internship and the opportunity to work for something that I believe in.

One thought on “The End | #6

Congratulations on your and Jeff Irwin’s win, Kelly! This is extremely exciting and there’s no doubt that the hard work that you and your colleagues put in day in and out, even when it was too hot and anxiety-inducing, made the difference!

It’s also great to hear you talk about how the skills you learned canvasing will transfer into both work and life environments far past the election. That’s huge – and something to remember when you’re nervous and don’t think you can do something. You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to!

I really enjoyed learning about your internship experience through your blogs! I want to acknowledge that with this post you’ve met the six blog requirement. You’re more than welcome to continue to blog and I’ll continue to follow your posts! However if this is the last time that I hear from you on the blog we’d love to see you stop by the Hub in the Fall to discuss how you can represent this experience on your resume, LinkedIn, in networking conversations, and/or in interviews!