That’s a Wrap (Post 7: Final Post)

Well, the internship has been real this Summer! It was very exciting and motivating to serve as a Legislative Intern, and as a Volunteer Campaign Intern in my community for my state representative. I have gained so many skills from both of these roles.

As a Legislative Intern, I learned how to properly analyze pieces of legislation to see the impact that it can have on constituents once it becomes into effect as a law, write special tributes and memos of legislative briefs to share with community stakeholders, and handle constituent concerns and aggressive legislative agendas. Every constituent and neighborhood had different needs and concerns, and I was successfully able to provide a listening ear and resources to help amend those needs.

As a Volunteer Campaign Intern working on my state representative’s re-election campaign, I have gained skills in handling campaigns via administering endorsements, being taught how to do a budget, overseeing social media and website, and most importantly engaging in door knocking and phone banking. Though running a political campaign is a lot of work, and truly takes some blood, sweat, and tears, the victory is so much bigger than the small stuff. In fact, my state-representative who was an incumbent, won the primaries, and I hope that the efforts of my support and hard-work played a part in the success.

Regardless, in both roles that I had experienced this summer, I have grown personally and professionally. I have strengthened my leadership, multi-tasking, and problem solving skills, as well as grown my list of mentors and professional organizations that I can lean on for support and further professional development. All of this was possible due to networking all over the course of my summer via talking to people that were in my prospective career field of law and politics. I utilized my social medias (especially LinkedIn and the University Career Center/UCAN), conducted phone interviews and shadowed legal professionals and elected officials. In addition, I got really involved in my community by attending neighborhood block clubs, city council and school board meetings, along with the fun social events that my neighborhood had to offer. Let me also add, that it is true that an email, phone call, and just a kind demeanor can get you really far in life.

As I am preparing for my second year, I know that I have a ton of support from my mentors, UMICH, and of course my family and friends to motivate me to continue to pursue the career route that is right for me (which is politics and law). My life motto has always been “Dream big, Set goals, Take action,” and I know that I am doing just that, working towards my dreams so that they can become a reality.

In all, I am truly blessed for all of the great things that I had the opportunity to experience this summer in my two distinct internship roles. It’s been real, and it is only the beginning for me. 🙂 Can’t wait to see what’s next in store for me.

2 thoughts on “That’s a Wrap (Post 7: Final Post)

Jaylen,

Great job for successfully completing your internship! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog posts about your great internship experience. Each week you shared very descriptive and meaningful stories about your time as a legislative intern and all that comes with that responsibility. Also, I appreciate you sharing some of the stories and concerns constituents would share with you.

It sounds like you were able to make an impact and that they made an impact on you. You should be very proud of yourself! Continue to dream big, set goals, and take action! We look forward to seeing you in the fall!

Go Blue!

DeMario

Thank you DeMario! I appreciate all of your kind words and advice throughout my entire internship experience! See you in the fall!

Jaylen