Be Yourself | Blog #5

Over the course of my ten weeks with the Bravo & Oxygen Program Planning team at NBCUniversal, I have learned a LOT. I have learned how to schedule a successful cable lineup, I have learned how to create professional industry-related presentations, and I have learned how to cover the desk of a very high level executive. In the midst of learning, trying, working, and creating, I occasionally forgot one of the most important keys to being successful in a job — being myself.

One of my biggest goals for the summer—which I am sure many other interns can relate to–was to make a lasting impression on my coworkers. I wanted to be seen as capable, creative, and a big contributor to the team. In doing so, I worked very hard on my assignments and made sure to only turn in work that I was proud of. Sometimes, however, as the work would pile up and I would focus on what was in front of me, rather than what was around me, I would neglect my other big goal for the summer–to bring my personality to work with me everyday. Consequently, one thing that I wish I knew from the beginning of my internship is how genuinely my colleagues wanted to know ‘Jaime the person’, rather than just ‘Jaime the Program Planning intern.’ I do feel like I had the opportunity to form meaningful connections with the people I worked with, and I even think I was able to learn a lot about many of them as people. One thing I wish I could go back and do, however, is let people know more about who I am outside of the office and share my interests outside of television programming.

The biggest piece of advice I would give to the next intern in my position is to always be professional, focused, and hard working, but do not forget to be your fun, talkative, and outgoing self in the process. It is important to produce really solid work, but it is also important to let your coworkers know who you are as a person.

Jaime R

Programming Strategy Intern @ CMT/Viacom Media Networks

One thought on “Be Yourself | Blog #5

That’s such a valuable takeaway, Jaime! I’m glad to hear you were able to make good connections with your colleagues, but it sounds like you wish that you had let a little more of your full personality and who you are as a whole person shine through in these interactions. It’s definitely true that interns and people who are early in their career sometimes feel like they need to be overly professional and “leave their selves at home” when they come to work. I definitely struggled with that early in my career. It took a long time to realize that it is important to bring your whole self in so that you can form real connections, people can see you as a real person, and so it doesn’t take a huge exhausting toll on you! I’m really glad to hear that you’re learning and thinking about this so early in your career.

Are there any people who you feel you might want to continue interacting with even once your internship is over? Anyone who could be a mentor, a friend, etc? Maybe this would be an opportunity to really be the “full Jaime” and also stay connected to people in the field you are interested in.

Maggie