Blog #3: Field Trip

The BGA took us on a field trip to the infamous Chicago Tribune Tower! We were able to get one of the last ever tours of the Chicago Tribune Tower, with exclusive access to areas of the tower that most tours don’t get to see.  The Chicago Tribune Tower has been a long standing monument of downtown Chicago, and after many years, the Chicago Tribune will be moving out of the tower as the tower is turning into residential apartments.  Our tour guide walked us through the history of the tower and explained its unique architecture.  Walking through the Tribune offices was such an amazing experience! I truly am so thankful I was able to go on this tour before its closing.

One thought on “Blog #3: Field Trip

Hi Gabrielle, my name is Zane and I am an intern at the Opportunity Hub. I have read all of your blogs that you’ve posted to date and am glad to hear that you had a positive experience in Chicago! I plan to reply to three of them today and two of them next week, just so you know.

I am glad you were able to find an internship in a field of interest! Journalism internships aren’t particularly easy to come by (I have a strong interest in journalism myself), so I’m glad you found one.

It sounds like your initial experiences during the internship were positive. The investigative piece you worked on with defective elevators is simultaneously interesting and terrifying. Even if the work was a tad monotonous, that was crucial work that you did. I hope that the Chicago Housing Authority gets their act together and fixes their elevators before something terrible happens.

I’m glad you had an opportunity to tour the Chicago Tribune Tower before it turns into a residential tower. That’s the kind of opportunity you just would not receive without an internship like this, especially the exclusive aspects of the tour you mentioned. Plus, it was relevant to the internship!

I’d be curious to hear more about the work you’re doing on the projects you’re assisting with at your internship. What does the journalist you’re shadowing have you do? I’d love to hear more!