Blog #5: Published Story

The story was published both on the BGA website and on the WBEZ website! I am so relieved that my work helped this story come into fruition, and I am so excited that my name is mentioned in the byline as a contributor to the story!  I am eager to see what kind of impact this story has on the community, and if change is made because of it.  Reflecting on my experience thus far, I am really glad that I decided to intern here this summer as it has been an amazing experience, but I think it has also made me realize I don’t want to be a reporter.  I want to do more than primarily sit in an office all day doing research.  I would rather be doing something that involves going out and engaging and working with people.

Here is the story:

https://projects.bettergov.org/2018/trapped/neglected-elevators/

2 thoughts on “Blog #5: Published Story

Gabrielle, congratulations on helping to get this article out!

First and foremost, I am so glad you had a chance to go out and listen to the people actually affected by this issue. I am a sportswriter and I took a lot of motivation out of your previous blog post. You discussed the monotony of going through document after document to collect data, but that you found motivation after seeing the issue play out in real life. I’m going to take that lesson and apply it to my writing in the future, so I don’t get too bogged down by data points and remember to watch and enjoy what I’m analyzing. Thank you.

The story is fantastic, by the way, and I was very happy to see your name when I reached the end of the article. This was an important story to publish and you played a huge role in it. Again, great job!

You only have one blog post left, but I’d be curious to know what takeaways you have from working on this story, and how this internship has affected your outlook on journalism. Also, I just wanted to note I’m taking an investigative journalism class in the fall, so these posts have been extremely interesting to me. Keep it up 🙂

Hi Gabrielle – I’m Kate, one of the Coaches at the Opportunity Hub. Thanks for each of your posts, which I have been reading alongside Zane. It’s been exciting to read about your experiences with BGA, and congratulations on the publication of the story you worked on!