I’ll be back, D.C.! | Blog #6

This summer I had the privilege to serve the Department of State as a summer intern and help move U.S. foreign policy. Not only was I able to grow as a professional, and further develop critical skills that will allow me to be a better asset in my future career, but I was also able to interact with the Foreign Service and Foreign Affairs Officers that help facilitate our nation’s diplomatic outreach.

I had to the opportunity to work on quite a variety of tasks, which was extremely exhilarating and educational, but to say the summer was easy would be a lie. Sometimes I felt burnt out because I was taking too much on and staying at the office late; however, there wasn’t a single day where I didn’t feel excited to be at work. I learned to push myself to become more efficient and produce better work. I also learned to say no to some projects, because part of being efficient was taking time for myself, and giving myself time to think. In the end, I feel proud of what I’ve accomplished over the past 12 weeks, and I hope I did my office proud as well!

Gaining this exposure has allowed me to fine-tune the steps I will be taking towards my future career. I cannot express how relieved I feel after being able to solidify attainable goals for the next 5 years and outline my 10-year plan. I am now confident in which fellowship and international opportunities I should apply to, I know I would want to take 2 years to attain work experience before getting a Masters in Public Policy, and I have set a realistic timeline to get there.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time at State this summer, and saying goodbye on my last day was very difficult. Nevertheless, I am determined to return as a Foreign Service Officer and will strive to do so within 10 years.

Working at the Department of State was an amazing learning opportunity, and would not have been possible without the generosity of the donors to the LSA Internship Scholarship, as well as the many individuals in the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’m very thankful for the Hub’s support in helping me achieve my dream of interning for the State Department, and I hope that The University of Michigan will continue to encourage its young Leaders to become the Best!

Go Blue! 🙂

2 thoughts on “I’ll be back, D.C.! | Blog #6

What a great closing to an awesome experience! It sounds like your internship experience has given you so much in just 12 weeks!

One of the strengths of any good experience comes from all the learning you get to do along the way, and it really sounds like you were able to learn so much. Hopefully your time at the Department of State will continue to help guide and inform you as you move forward, both personally and professionally. It’s great that you were able to come away with such strong goals for you next steps and what your plan looks like in the future as well.

I wish you the best of luck!

• September 8, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Thank you for your comment, Mike! I really appreciate the work you put in to help students like me succeed in our experiences. Best wishes to you as well!