Post 6: End of the Internship

The summer has flown by! It seems like it was just yesterday that I started working in the lab. If I had to give advice to myself before I started the lab, I would tell myself to write down everything because there is so much to learn! To anyone planning on starting to research- keep asking questions! There is a lot that you won’t know in the beginning and there is a lot that even more experienced scientists don’t know. I love how there is so much mystery involved in science.

This internship has encouraged me to continue researching in the future. I plan on attending medical school, but now I want to be more involved in research as well. I don’t think that I want to have a career solely focused on research, but several of the skills that I have learned through working in this lab will be useful in many other scenarios. I’ve learned how to managed my time properly. I’ve learned a lot about cell biology that I can connect back to what I learned in class. Most importantly,  I’ve learned how to be a critical thinker and how to be flexible if something doesn’t go my way. I will take my new knowledge with me as I move on to the next chapter of my life.

One thought on “Post 6: End of the Internship

Hi Aditi! My name is Caroline and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I was able to read some of your blog posts, and it sounds like you have had a busy summer! You have been able to get your hands on some real research work in the lab, and have had experiences that are educational and unforgettable. You’ve even done some deep reflection on your own career goals! I’d be curious to know what you will do with these lessons and memories when you exit your internship. I highly recommend using the services and resources offered at the Opportunity Hub to help you maximize this experience. Our coaches can help you articulate your experiences in resumes, cover letters, and future interviews. They can also help you figure out what moves you want to make next and how to stay in touch with your network. You surely don’t want to forget all of the great things you’ve been learning or the people that you’ve connected with. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you at the Hub this fall!