Week 1 – Come On Out Japan!

When I first heard about Come On Out Japan, I was not initially sure about how the internship would work. English Camp? Would I be running through the important tenets of English grammar or would we be reading through a textbook page by page, running drills? Well, apparently, we were afforded much more freedom than I thought!

Week 1 in Japan led my travel to the cities of Asakusa, Shinjuku, and Fuchu.

Asakusa was a brief stay in the Bunka Hostel to coordinate everyone in the program coming from many different countries, universities from all across the world. We would begin forming friendships this July 14th weekend. Battling fatigue from jetlag I forced myself to walk through the streets of Asakusa with some friends who happened to be coming from Umich as well! We saw the Senso-Ji Pagoda, 

passed by many shops and shrines, and got a brief dinner and drinks at a local outdoor restaurant. Day 1 was much fun!

On Monday we all packed up our stuff (didn’t take very long, as we had only stayed at Bunka for 2 nights) and took the train to Shinjuku, the busiest train station in the world! Thankfully on this day, there was a holiday (National Marine Day) which meant we would not be mobbed by all the daily business workers. On average 3.4 million people pass through the station a day! After going to Shinjuku we went to the Toshin building, where most Tokyo based interns would be teaching. We were separated based on Team numbers and grouped accordingly. Then we would run through the first day of the textbook, do some icebreakers, and generally get to know each other.

After a long day, we broke off into housing meetings were I found myself meeting some really cool people who I would live with and nearby for the next 6 weeks. Josh, my roommate, 

Bailey, Clara, Sammi and Eugenia. These people have been my go to friends. We had to go through MANY MANY hoops to get our keys to our apartments. It probably took about 4 hours from leaving the Toshin building. But we finally made it through much emotional and physical turmoil, lugging our luggage across Tokyo.

The next week led to learning the textbook, hearing stories from past interns, hanging out with people after work, exploring Shinjuku, 

Akihabara, Shibuya, 

and places around my apartment in Fuchu. All in all, week 1 was extremely fun! It ended with a group trip to Hakone, where we barbequed, saw Odawara Castle,

Odawara Onsen, and got to sleep in cabins.

One thought on “Week 1 – Come On Out Japan!

Thank you for sharing, Alexander! My name is Jake Albers with the LSA Opportunity Hub. I will be reading and responding to your blogs during your internship. I am glad to hear that you are getting acclimated to life on Tokyo (despite a few key-related road blocks). I suppose it’s all a part of the growth process when interning internationally. I look forward to hearing more about your experience! – Jake