Working in Government Affairs

One of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had during the course of this internship was working with the Government Affairs office and assisting them with constituent services. During a meeting I sat in on, representatives from a Montana county highway safety office met with the director of Government Affairs for the FMCSA. There is a new tracking mechanism on commercial truck drivers that will make sure that they don’t drive over their maximum number of hours, and this county commission wanted to express their concerns about the effect of this regulation on local agricultural businesses.
This meeting was interesting to sit in on because it demonstrated how the voices of people that policy affects can be represented in governmental policy. Wiley, our Governmental Affairs Director had a career as a caseworker before he served at the FMCSA. He told me once that caseworking is the most important job in Congress because it helps make sure that policy directly addresses the problems people face. Working with Wiley has made me take an interest in serving in some sort of Governmental Affairs sector in a future career, because listening to the perspectives of the people that policy affects is the best way to create a positive impact.

One thought on “Working in Government Affairs

Speaking as someone who’s worked in government affairs, I can say that these kind of experiences are the ones you look back on with such pride when you’ve worked in government relations.