Krakow

Working for Culture.pl has been a wonderful experience. I am able to take a day off here and there to explore cities in Poland other than Warsaw. Yesterday night I got back from Krakow, Poland. It is a beautiful city. I was able to see old-town, art museum, Wawel Cathedral, Jewish quarter and castle. I also went on a few walking tours. I toured the Jewish quarter and went to several synagogues. This was a great experience for me. I have never been to a synagogue and the fact that there were so many synagogues that were so well preserved was amazing. I was also able to tour a Jewish cemetery.  This was very moving. Another part of this excursion that was so impactful for me was going to the National Art Museum of Art. There the painting titles: Lady with an Ermine by Leonardo Da Vinci. It was amazing to be in the same room as such a famous and iconic painting. The exhibit also had a lot of background on the painting as well as the subject of the painting. However, my favorite thing about Krakow is old-town.  The beautiful city center was incredible. It was not destroyed in World War II.

One thought on “Krakow

Samantha,

Thanks for your second entry in your blog as you reflect on your learning throughout this internship experience – I’m glad that you’ve been able to explore some of the sights and sounds while you’ve been hard at work!

Few things are as effective as challenging our perceptions and perspectives quite like travel. You were able to see some of the wonderful architecture and cultural touchstones of Krakow. It’s always interesting to learn about how art, history, and culture as a whole drives the professional practice of a community. Given what you’ve learned about Krakow and Poland, I really challenge you to observe and reflect on how some of the practices and behaviors at work may be influenced by the context and history of some of the sights you were able to see.

I’m looking forward to reading more!

-Josh