First Assignment #3

As I mentioned in the last post, the first couple of weeks I looked at the demographics of institutions that my team and I want to take a closer look at. We were each given a set of schools to look into, and I was in charge of gathering information for The University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Central Michigan University, and Grand Rapids Community College. The PhD student I am working with developed a template where we could input the information we gathered. Information including the location of the institution, type of institution, their mission statement, the year the institution was established, enrollment (total, undergraduate, graduate, professional), estimated cost of attendance, endowment, graduation rate, attrition rate, retention rate, alumni, student body demographics (average student rate, full time student enrollment, part time student enrollment, percentage of women and men in student body, percentage of student body eligible for pell grant, student ethnicity, percentage of in state, international, out of state, commuter students, resident students (on campus), and first generation college students, and average high school GPA for all degree seeking, first time, first year students). Out of all this information gathered for each school, some was easier to find than others. I wasn’t able to find one or two pieces of information but when I reached out to the PhD student he assured me that it was totally fine and he would find whatever was left. I’m thankful to be able to work with such helpful people.

One thought on “First Assignment #3

Melissa,
    I’m glad you’ve gotten a good start on collecting data for the schools you were assigned. Do you find it energizing to locate this info, or is it difficult to maintain a scavenger hunt for data you mentioned is sometimes difficult to find? I can see how it could be a bit of both!

Do you have the opportunity to share ideas and plan with the PhD student student you’re working with? It might be interesting to learn their approach to the project, and how that’s shaped!

What does your day to day look like, or is it quite flexible?
    Looking forward to hearing more,
    Beth