Home Away from Home #4

I have always had difficulty answering the question, where is home? While it may seem like a simple question to answer, it’s much more complex. I think it depends on your definition of what home is. Is it where you were born, where you grew up, or where you last lived? In that case I have more than one home because I was born in Mississippi, but grew up in Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Nevada, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Virginia, and where last I lived was Irving, TX. Despite this complexity, I always say my home is Texas where everything truly is bigger. What defines Texas is the people and food because southern hospitality is real, and don’t even get me started on the barbecue there.

Despite all of the greatness that Texas has to offer I decided to go to Michigan for college, a state I had barely heard of before moving. I had to make Ann Arbor my home so I bought parkas, gloves, scarves, and hoped that I could survive my first REAL winter. I did, and day after day Michigan became home too.

One thought on “Home Away from Home #4

Melissa,
    Thanks for sharing the details of your journey to UM! What a path, and so many states along the way!
    I appreciate your reflection on “where home is” meaning different things to each person. I have a good friend who lives in TX, and is also always raving about the BBQ! I’m headed to Dallas in December for a weekend — any recommendations I should keep in mind?

Surviving winter is definitely a way of making A2 home! What are some other things that have made Ann Arbor/UM feel like home throughout the year? Has it felt different this summer than during the school year?

It’s always interesting to introduce your “home” to others who visit — what would be the places to go, things to do, food to eat in A2, in your opinion?

Have a good evening!
    Beth