Informational Interviews

Throughout the course of my 12 week internship, my responsibilities included conducting two informational interviews with people in the company that were not part of my team. This gave me an opportunity to see how each part of the company works and to get to know all the employees. I work on the customer success team so I chose to interview someone on the sales team and the CEO.

I chose to interview Joe, a guy on the sales team, with the intention of learning his sales’ pitch. I was looking to improve my own elevator pitch and work on a concise way to explain why i care about the environment. Joe explains to customers everyday why it would be beneficial for them to track their utility usage and thus start investing in the preservation of the environment. His response was point-blank: climate change is obvious and we must do something immediately to mitigate its effects. He also worked a lot in clean tech startups so creating this connection seems like a great move for my future. He told me to check out his linkdin and go crazy with the networking, which is awesome!

I also interviewed Laila, the CEO of the company. She told me all about why she was asked to join WegoWise and where the company is headed. She joined WegoWise because the company had several projects going on but did not know how to properly sell them. So she helped them figure out who the client is and how they can actually start making a profit. I started to understand the difficulties and realities of working for a startup. I also began to understand the differences of a non-profit, a for-profit and a for-profit with a mission. Laila really likes working for a for-profit with a profit because when making decisions it’s not all about the money, it’s also about driving the mission which is sustainability in this case. We ended the interview with some great advice for me as a soon-to-be graduate.

Tansy

Biology and Environment major at the University of Michigan. Boston --> Ann Arbor --> Piran, Slovenia. I <3 sailing, backpacking, theater, and baking.

One thought on “Informational Interviews

Tansy,
    Your informational interviews sound awesome! Great intentionality on who you choose to chat with — and both of them had great advice and ideas to share. If you’re interested in diving more in depth on your LinkedIn, please know the Hub would be glad to help! Do you feel like you have ideas on how you might reframe your elevator pitch, based on your conversation with Joe?

I’m glad you also had time with Laila! Her insights on different types of companies, how that impacts the mission, and even her decision to join WegoWise can be enlightening as you decide what environment you’d like to be part of in the future.

I know you mentioned it before – but your internship does such a great job building professional skills and supporting your learning along the way! Glad it’s been so worthwhile.
    Beth