Looking Ahead

It has been more than a week now since finishing up my Capitol Hill internship. It’s been disappointing to need to leave DC, but even more disappointing to leave the office I was working in. Even though dozens of interns come and go in each office each year, I am lucky to feel like I genuinely connected with the staffers in my office.

I went from being uncertain I wanted to intern on the Hill, or for the government at all, to feeling a desire to apply back for Hill staffer positions after graduation. While my future is still uncertain, I know this experience will serve as a baseline for any other policy or political job I will hold in the future. Now, all I can do is reflect, reprioritize, reframe, and utilize all of the connections made, new information, and new perspectives to my advantage as I consider my path ahead.

One thought on “Looking Ahead

Hi Zach! It sounds like you have had a very informative summer! You have been able to get your hands on some real government work and have experiences that are educational and unforgettable. I’d be curious to know what you will do with these lessons and memories. I highly recommend using the services and resources offered at the Opportunity Hub to help you maximize this internship. Our coaches can help you articulate your experiences in resumes, cover letters, and future interviews. You surely don’t want to forget all of the great things you’ve been learning in DC, or the people that you’ve connected with. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you at the Hub this fall!