Reflection 4: Responsibility

UCHC has turned out to challenge me more than any other opportunity. Although I am not left alone with clients entirely, I am allowed to counsel them on small things without direct supervision. This responsibility is informative, but also very nerve-wracking.

If I give someone the wrong information, that can impact them so negatively that they lose a day of work for nothing or they lose their whole house. Even things like memorizing different plans, prepping a file correctly, and deadlines for applications can be the difference between a foreclosed house and a safe house.

I am working on knowing when to make my own decisions and when I need to ask for help. I want to be helpful and not make the full time counselors have to do extra work to help me, but the client is the number one priority and this means I need to find a balance.

This chaotic, difficult, and life changing work is exactly what I want to be doing in the future. I think that this internship has shown me so much about what I am capable of and also of what I can be a part. I was nervous that learning on the job would be so difficult that I might hate going in,  but really it has taught me more than most classes ever could.