Thankful #6

When I look back at this past year or even this summer and see all of the incredible opportunities I have been given I realize how tremendously blessed I have been. I owe part of these blessings to The University of Michigan, and the National Forum of Higher Education for the Public Good. I have never worked with such amazingly supportive people as those who work at the Forum. They believed in me more than I did. For that, I am tremendously grateful. While I may never be able to pay them back, a “thank you” is a good start.

One thought on “Thankful #6

Melissa,
    Thanks for sharing further reflections about who you are and how that shows up in your work. Being in a new environment (like at UM) can definitely open up experiences and new perspectives about yourself, your identities, and identities of others.

I appreciate you sharing the transition to UM, as a woman of color attending a predominantly white institution. Acknowledging identities that are salient to you, were you hold privilege or not, and how to be an ally to other communities is essential in understanding yourself and your interaction with the world. I’m glad this summer afforded the opportunity to draw on those reflections. How might your newly-sought knowledge come into play moving in to this school year?

Is this something you’re interested in continuing to explore and connect w/ on campus? There are so many great opportunities to dive further. Please let me know if you’re interested, and I’d be glad to share ideas/resources!

I’m also curious, how did this come up in your work this summer?
    Will you stay in touch with your colleagues at the Forum?
    Congratulations on wrapping up an incredible opportunity and summer — best of luck on the transition back to Ann Arbor!

Thanks,
    Beth