Final Reflections | #6

This summer has greatly changed my perspective on working in New York. This internship with Tuleste has been an incredibly rewarding and eye-opening experience. In all, my graphic design internship in New York City helped form my goals for not only future career plans but also future life plans.

Working in the “real-world” is vastly different than being a college student. Having a consistent work schedule and doing similar tasks everyday really shows you if this career field is right for you. Lucky for me this internship shows me how vast my opportunities can be in the fashion industry. In this position alone I was able to try out tasks related to merchandising, graphic design, marketing, and jewelry design. Trying out these different fields gave me an in-depth look at the functions in the fashion industry. This made me realize that the fashion industry is such a dynamic and fast-paced environment that I could be creative in and thrive in. Additionally, my internship at Tuleste showed me that merchandising as opposed to graphic design is a more interesting career path for me. Working directly with the products that will be sold to consumers and with the stores that will sell the products is compelling to me and something I would be love to pursue post-graduation. In doing this internship, it opened my eyes to the fashion industry and helped me realize that I would like to pursue a career in merchandising. Thanks to this internship I can create a plan for applying to jobs and furthering my career down the road.

While this internship helped form my career path, it also helped form my life path. Travelling over 700 miles from home to spend a summer in New York City felt like a daunting task. Coming from a small suburban town and moving to one of the largest cities in the world, I expected to be overwhelmed, intimidated, and scared. However, I was surprised at how easy it was to get around, meet people, and explore the city. I loved how simple, fast, and affordable the public transportation system is in New York. Additionally, I was concerned that in such a large city, I would feel isolated and alone surrounded by the hustle and bustle of strangers around me. Yet I found that people in my building were generally very friendly and open to making new friendships. Additionally, I found that strangers at bars or stores were eager to meet new people as well. These pleasant surprises as well as the endless opportunities New York offers, I fell in love with the city. The hustle and bustle and the crowds became welcoming signs of opportunity and excitement for me. With so much to do and so much to see, I can see myself living in this city and having a successful career here. Thanks to my 10 week crash-course living in New York, I now know this is somewhere I can not only pursue a career but also somewhere I can be happy. Going forward, I plan to apply to jobs primarily in New York City thanks to the connections I have formed here.

In all, this opportunity has awarded me a new-found passion for not only merchandising but also New York City. I’m thankful for this summer internship for opening my eyes to the opportunities that lie ahead.

One thought on “Final Reflections | #6

Hi Kaitlyn! Congratulations on wrapping up what sounds like was an amazing summer experience! Aside from the value of learning the work of an internship, there is so much more to gain from having such an experience, and you have really captured that in your final reflection here. You must feel so proud and so empowered coming back to campus this Fall with an idea of a plan for what you want your next steps to be. Keep in mind that the coaches here at the Hub are really amazing resources for helping you think about building out that plan so you can achieve all that you hope and dream to do. Definitely pop in or make an appointment if you want to connect about putting some plans on paper, and in to action. I hope you enjoy your last few days before classes start – we can’t wait to have you all back on campus here in Ann Arbor! I wish you all the best this next year, and in your future!