My Mentor – Post #4

During my time in Gavin Newsom’s office, I would say I have found a great mentor in my good friend, Joe. I met Joe during my time in Central Student Government, and we always got along very well, campaigned together, and this summer, worked together. I knew he was working on this campaign, and I asked him about the opportunity to work under him as a campaign intern, and he was able to help me out. Midway during my internship, I got a new supervisor, and it turned out to be my friend and mentor, Joe!

What made Joe so great as a supervisor and mentor was that moving past the tedious work that we did on this campaign, he went out of his way to show us the meaning of everything that we were doing. He showed us why the work we were doing mattered and what our contributions were to the campaign. He also forced the interns in the program to do a lot more collaborative work, allowing us to get to know the other interns we may not have known and got us to network further with others in the office.

Joe has taught me a lot about being politically correct in the workplace and the real world. He has showed me new techniques in research and talking to people about various issues. He has taught me how to work well, and to enjoy the work that I am doing. It’s been an incredible experience in working under him, and I hope that I’ll be able to work with or for him again one day.

One thought on “My Mentor – Post #4

Hi Frank! My name is Caroline and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub and I was able to read some of your blog posts. It sounds like you have had a great summer! You have been able to get your hands on some real campaign work and have had experiences that are educational and unforgettable. You’ve even done some deep reflection on your identity and how you operate in the workplace. I’d be curious to know what you will do with these lessons and memories when you exit your internship. I highly recommend using the services and resources offered at the Opportunity Hub to help you maximize this experience. Our coaches can help you articulate your experiences in resumes, cover letters, and future interviews. You surely don’t want to forget all of the great things you’ve been learning in LA, or the people that you’ve connected with. They can also help you figure out what moves you want to make next and how to stay in touch with your network. I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you at the Hub this fall!